Curry is a great dish as you can pretty much put anything you like in there and have a spicy, rich meal. I made this curry for the sake of Sunday dinner but when I posted the picture on Instagram someone asked for the recipe. So I guess the recipe must be done which means some deep thought for me. Kathy Perret from Instagram…this is for you!
Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry
- 4 large sweet potatoes diced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 3 cans (1200ml) chopped tomatoes
- 500g spinach chopped roughly
- 1 heaped teaspoon garlic puree
- 1 rounded teaspoon ginger puree
- 2 palms of madras curry powder (3-4 Tablespoons)
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml soya milk
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 good pinch red chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons Garam masala
1) Using vegetable stock in place of oil sauté the onions until soft.
2) Add in the sweet potato, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, curry powder, chilli, black pepper, chilli flakes, vegetable stock, soya milk and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and bring down to a medium / low heat. Allow to heat until sweet potatoes are softened to your liking.
3) Add in the chopped spinach and garam masala. Stir it down until the spinach is fully wilted.
Serve with rice or naan. This is a reasonably spicy dish…probably about a medium but you could easily adjust this with more of less chilli (or chilli flakes). I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.